View Single Post
Old 21-05-18, 07:39 PM

Default 31st Battalion cap badge

Greetings all!

It's funny, as a new member here, I've already run across a couple threads about the next badge for the collection. I was only going to acquire a few select ones. And then I was hooked.

Anyway, after starting to collect a couple years ago, I have been stumped by a recently acquired 31st Bn item. Concerned about reproductions, I learned early that the crown detailing was often a sure giveaway as to authenticity. I also thought that a maker's mark was a good thing (presumed to trump the crown detail concern). Recently, I learned that thickness and weight can be obvious signs to experienced collectors. So, I wonder if people here might be able to give an opinion as to whether this badge might be an original or if it's a reproduction.

Looking at the crown and lettering details (letter A's in particular), the clarity doesn't compare with the examples shown here http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...ce/cef_e31.htm
On the other hand, it has a Tiptaft maker's mark, which is reasonably legible.

Appreciate any opinions you might have to offer regarding authentic vs reproduction.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31st bn1.jpg (67.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 31st bn2.jpg (43.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 31st detail.jpg (64.7 KB, 33 views)