View Single Post
Old 06-08-16, 08:10 AM

Hello Paul,

I am not the youngest anymore, but I wasn't a witness at those times. My main source of information is Ray Westlake: Tracing the Rifle Volunteers.

It says about Cumberland:

1st Administrative Battalion of Cumberland Rifle Volunteers consolidated in 1880 as 1st Cumberland Rifle Volunteer Corps.
In 1881 it became part of The Border Regiment.
In December 187 the designation changed to 1st (Cumberland) Volunteer Battalion, The Border Regiment
In 1900 five companies were detached to form 3rd (Cumberland) Volunteer Battalion, The Border Regiment (see below)
In 1908 it was transferred to The Territorial Force as four companies of the 4th Battalion, The Border Regiment (TF).

In 1900 3rd (Cumberland) Volunteer Battalion, The border Regiment was created from five companies of 1st (Cumberland) Volunteer Battalion, The Border Regiment and three new companies.
In 1908 it was transferred to the Territorial Force as 5th Battalion, The Border Regiment (TF).

And Westmorland:
In 1880 the 1st Administrative Battalion of Westmorland Rifle Volunteers consolidated as 1st Westmorland Rifle Volunteer Corps.
In 1881 it was transferred to The Border Regiment.
In December 1887 the designation changed to 2nd (Westmorland) Volunteer Battalion, The Border Regiment.
In 1908 it was transferred to the Territorial Force as four companies of the 4th Battalion, The border Regiment (TF).

In short: The 1st VB split of the 3rd VB in 1900 and it merged in 1908 with the 2nd VB to become the 4th Bn (TF). The 3rd VB became the 5th Bn (TF).
This is a bit different from what you found.

I any case, it is clear that the battalion raiued in 1900 was a VB because
a) it was titled a VB
b) it's numbering was in the VB line, when in the "militia" line, it would have been the 5th Bn in 1900.
c) it was transferred to the TF and not to the Special Reserve in 1908.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages