View Single Post
Old 11-12-08, 06:14 AM

David,
I'll give a couple of poor opinions on your questions.

Agreed the w/m N.N.S. HIGH'RS seems missing. I believe this was chronologically the first badge. Enamelled officers badges exist in the MG & NNS HIGH'RS pattern. To my knowledge there is no NNS HIGHLANDERS badge in silver & enamel.

The 1st Bn 8th PLH badge (the overseas pattern) is reported to have appeared in 1942. It may well be that it was not authorized by a General Order until 1950 - I don't know. If there is a difference between wartime & post war badges, it's more likely a reflection of British vs. Canadian manufacture - i.e. variants of the same badge rather than a pattern change.

The Queens Rangers cap badges are essentially all the same. I think you're right - Mazeas is showing the newer collars reflecting the MG designation received in 1936.

The Irish fusiliers 'bomb badge' was authorized in 1937. The Regiment wanted it to include the coronet to reflect their affiliation with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Apparently the government agreed that they could wear the coronet, but refused to fund any changes. In other words, they had tacit permission to wear a badge which was not formalized by a General Order. Again, I don't know when the GO came through - probably a couple of decades later. The early crowned bomb badges are commony found with the coronet attached with a brass tab soldered to the reverse - a modification likely by a Vancouver jeweller, paid for out of Regimental funds.

M53 / M53a - is he trying to tell us that the badge exists in different colours, black & brass?