Thread: Pagri badges
View Single Post
Old 07-08-11, 01:54 PM

As a collector and researcher for over forty years the only way that you can solve your problem of what was worn with either the foreign service helmet or slouch hat to your particular regiment is to look through photographic archives and regimental orders and especially "Digests of Service", which in many cases tell's you the adoption of a certain device with the letter of approval and date.

From my own vewing of thousands of photographs over the years, as well as looking at the art work of military artists, you'll find that metal badges were in the minority and not the majorty, especially when dealing with the FSH.

The first pattern FSH(based on the Home Service pattern) which was worn universally overseas, but more often assocaited with the South African War, in general had scarlet cloth shoulder titles attached them or in the case of Jock regiments hackles, the red of the Royal Highlanders, springs to mind instantly.

These same badges in a lot of cases were transferred to the later patterns of FSH - i.e. the Wolsley, or were modified to suite. Again the Royal Artillery springs to mind with their red & blue cloth diamonds, with brass letters and numerals.

The same applies to the Infantry slouch hat, which in most cases did not have the pagri, so badges were to be found on the upturned rim side. Again in nearly all of the cases I have seen where the badge is clearly visible, it's usually the larger pattern badge associated with the Broderick, than specific patterns for the FSC, which is being worn.

With the slouch hat worn by the Cavalry and Imperial Yeomanry, which more commonly used the pagri, you have a different ball game altogether. Here rosettes and feather devices were worn along with letters and numerals. On top of which you then have the Mounted Infantry and their slouch hat, which I believe also sported the pagri.

In my own opinion it's all well and good collecting badges, but the the only way you'll ever get to the bottom of what was actually worn is to go out and look at the photographic and physical evidence of your particular regiment