View Single Post
Old 26-06-12, 12:18 PM

Hi Will,
Very happy to share info where I can... no use in keeping it all to myself. Though I enjoy the collecting (aquiring my first badge at age 5 from an uncle returning from Angola in the mid 70's), I do prefer digging and finding the facts about the insignia. Have had many heated discussions with people in the know to finally disprove their theories when a period document or picture becomes available. Of course this works both ways, so I am always ready to be corrected when I theorise on an item.

To add to the nursing college discussion, In 1985 a nursing college was started within SA Medical Services at Voortrekkerhoogte in Pretoria with an affiliation to UNISA. A satellite college started at same time at Wynberg Military Hospital. On 1st January 1988 the college received unit status. A picture of the unit flash is attached. A college lapel badge was designed by SA Heraldic Buro and issued in 1991 (see second picture, though not very clear). The wording on top of shield reads "SAGD VERPLEEGKOLLEGE" and the motto below reads "SCIENTIA PRAESTEMUS" - with knowlege we can.

Just as a bit of interest, the SAMNS (South African Military Nursing Service) which was formed in 1914, ceased to exist as a unit in 1972. They were renamed South African Military Nursing Corps (SAMNC) affective 01 December 1970 and then on 11 December 1972, the SAMNC was disbanded and all staff incorporated into the South African Medical Services(SAMS).

The SAMS was redesignated as such from the SAMC(South African Medical Corps) also with affect 01 December 1970. In 1979 the SAMS became an autonomous unit of the SADF.

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b6f8_1.JPG (16.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg FIL4635.JPG (9.3 KB, 12 views)