View Single Post
Old 17-09-20, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
unfortunately for me in this case, yes. none of them have a date which I would not expect to see with a " private purchase " example. a bit like officers SD, the only clue to date something being the outfitters / tailors label. the only caveat is that the issue of these things did not stop at the end of the war so no silver bullet. I do have an officers SD cap with the original receipt of purchase but is of no help in this case. on a tangent I contacted Gieves & Co. years ago for information about their wartime trading but was advised that their archives had been destroyed. why are things in life not simple !
Thank you.

To summarise, with the exception of the Royal Marines beret, wartime berets with the internal badge flap protection are private purchase and not issue items. Furthermore there are no specific pattern features or materials used so the only way to determine a wartime private purchase beret (with or without the internal badge flap) is provenance and/or knowledge of the outfitter's trading dates. Without either of these determining factors the dating of the beret would be pure speculation or guess work.

Last edited by popskipa; 17-09-20 at 01:14 PM.