View Single Post
Old 16-09-20, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Also the vaulting of the Gaunt badge can be seen in the second pic while the third shows the flattened Gaunt back stamp.

Again, just an idea but this could have been from the trimming of a normal "sharp cornered" badge and the badge being placed on the backing plate. Any scarring on the backplate would be transferred to the back of the badge and, although Gaunt were a byword for precision, this modification wouldn't have called for a great level of detail.

The vaulting of the badge would result as would the blurring of the maker's mark.
Thanks for posting the photos but I'm still not convinced.

The badge looks as if it has been held in a bench vice while two of the corners have been filed/ground. Cloth/padding would have been placed on one side of the vice to prevent damage/scratches to the 'face' of the badge but this would have caused 'slight' movements when filing.

This movement would have resulted in scratches/cuts on the rear and flattening/damage to the makers mark. Again , this is from personal experience .

The 'curve' on the corner held in the vice also appears larger/longer than the other two , possibly due to pressure exerted while filing.

The 'rounding' on the top of the badge seem to be flatter/angled , possibly due to difficulty with shaping due to pin placement.

I honestly don't think that this 'modification' was done by the manufactuer , if it had been , would it not have been done during the original 'pressing'/stamping process ........before the pin was attached ? Or would Gaunt have accepted numerous badges back and adjusted their process/dies to accomodate badges that had pin fittings ?

OK , these are only my opinion (no evidence) and as we all know .......

...... opinions are like a-holes , everyone has one !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vice.jpg (69.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Corner 1.jpg (23.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Corner 2.jpg (36.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Corner 3.jpg (100.6 KB, 10 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted