View Single Post
Old 07-04-10, 10:54 AM

Default History of J. R. Gaunt & Son

Hello Griff

The history of Gaunts is on my ‘to do’ list, though unfortunately as things stand that is something very much for the future I’m afraid. Both Julian (KLR) and Chris (hagwalther) will probably have some information on J. R. Gaunt & Son, and no doubt they will make postings about their findings in due course. In the meantime you may find it useful to look at Military Button Manufactures from the London Directories 1800-1899, compiled by Peter Nayler of the Archaeological Services section of Canada’s National Historic Sites (1993), which is available in PDF on the Society for Historical Archaeology’s website. The Gaunt entries are on p. 29, but see also those for Firmin - though how helpful this is in itself I am not sure. You may also want to look at another posting I made here, about J. R. Gaunt, The Birmingham Mint and Firmin and some most interesting documents that are on John Dunnigan’s buttons website.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 19-04-10 at 04:27 PM.