View Single Post
Old 21-09-16, 06:25 AM

Congratulations Tony - that is (in my opinion) a genuine Pals badge.
Specifically, it is the first issue, Pattern 8520/1915 Other Ranks cap badge. The date of sealing can only be given as late 1915 as the RACD records are missing between May 1915 and March 1916. The badge was specified as being ‘bronzed’ and with loops. Bronzing, in WO parlance, meant either blackening or browning. The former is commonly used by rifle unit and the latter on yeomanry regiment badges. This is almost the only case known for an infantry battalion. Like yours, the 'bronzing' on most of these has worn off leaving a brighter GM / brass finish.
It is not bronze, it is not an officer's badge. The obverse is fine and yes, the reverse has been bashed about a bit (marks left by something like pliers are often seen on loops as many sort to narrow the loop so it penetrated the cap fabric more easily).

This badge was superseded in May 1917 by Pattern 9483 - this was die struck and specified to have a slider. It was obviously cheaper than the solid cast 1915 version. Curiously though, I have seen more of the 1915s than I have the 1917s. They must have made thousands of the 1915 and I just wonder if they were privately financed - just like the silver ones ....

PS I've just noticed that yours has the 'upside down pear' shape loops (rather than the common stalked circle loops) which is what you find on the (also solid cast) silver badges .... !!!!

Last edited by KLR; 21-09-16 at 06:32 AM. Reason: loops