View Single Post
Old 11-06-09, 12:03 PM

Exclamation 79 Armd Div

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
I would appreciate comments or thoughts on this patch for the 79 AD being offered on ebay right now.

It is embroidered thread on a borderless yellow felt/melton triangle. As a Canadian collector I remain relatively unfamiliar with British insignia. However the 1st Cdn Armd Carrier Regiment was attached to the 79th in 1944 and '45 and wore a version of this patch. I often see printed cloth versions of this for sale and a really bad embroidered version is regularly sold by a US vendor. There is also a legitimate Dutch woven type. However I don't recall ever seeing an embroidered type such as this for sale? Does such an animal exist?
Hello,

Here is a quote from the late Major John Waring's 'British Regular and Territorial Army cloth formation signs & titles' pamphlet no 1.

"163. 79 Armoured Division. Black and White bulls head, red horns and nostrils in yellow triangle. Emb on felt.

164. 79 Armoured Division. As for 163 but with a black border. Printed."

The printed version has been reproduced as can be seen in 54 Bty's repro and fakes album on this forum. I have a similar printed sign which was shown to the then Quartermaster of 32 Armoured Engineer Regiment in Germany. He confirmed that such a printed badge had been worn by his Regiment for a short time. This is not to be confused with the printed badge which was cut from the centre of the Regiment's tracksuit badge and worn on a brassard in the 1990-91 Gulf War. This is reported in Marc Sherriff's book British Army Unit Identification Badges of the 1990's Vol 1 page 21.

The item in question looks very nice and bright considering it is purported to be a WW2 vintage badge. Of course it may have been in a book or box somewhere for over 60 years. I always think it is a good idea to at least have a look, after all you can always return it should you be unhappy.

Hope this helps.

ORISKANY.