View Single Post
Old 04-01-20, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Hi Piffer,
Yes the badge is a cast badge and the usual ones I've seen are die struck British made. As i told Kev, the reverse does not look great and it's been probably cast locally in India. But might be authentic in the sense that it might be used by other ranks as opposed to the silver ones worn by officers. I suppose you asked Ashok? I thought of sending him a pic but i bother him every other day so thought i would avoid
Problem with Indian badges now is there are a lot of cast copies so becoming a minefield. And some copies are extremely well made. The obverse of this badge is pretty decent though, i would say.
Hi Khyber and Kev,
That it's cast and most likely locally made from an original die struck badge for use by other ranks is a possibility. According to Ashok Nath this type of badge was worn by BO's and Native officers and also by NCO'S and members of the regimental band on special occasions. Other ranks wore XV with a quoit as it's shown in Sowars and Sepoys as nr 345. For field service they had a plain blackened quoit shown as nr 347. Since his book was published in 2014, Ashok also mentioned that he had noted, although its not mentioned in his book, after having seen contemporary photographs of 15th Sikhs that a plain silver quoit was worn by BO's on their SD caps. Let me see if I can can request for some images obverse/reverse of authentic badge worn by the 15th Sikhs. Piffer