View Single Post
Old 08-12-09, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Conor,
I agree with the above, however I would attribute the clipping of sliders, to the introduction of the beret, in that, when fitted, the end of the slider would often protrude below the headband and hence the reason they are found clipped or in some cases folded back on themselves! The other reason, again due to being worn in the beret, was that the beret use to come with a leather sleeve inside, into which the slider/shank was supposed to fit. Often the slider was too long and prevented the badge's slider fitting neatly and again resulted in the clipping!

Andy
Hi Andy,
I'm pretty sure that this badge would never have been worn in a beret with the leather sleeve. Most likely a caubeen or an old style GS beret, which I believe didn't have one. I've never seen a caubeen with the sleeve for a slider.

Connor,
I look upon badges like this as having character. In my opinion, the original owner polished it regularly and had it repaired rather than replaced, so he must have been rather fond of it. It's ones like this that probably saw a bit of service. I would definitely keep and be proud of it.

Just my opinion

John