View Single Post
Old 10-06-19, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
What makes you wonder, is this an assumption, if so, what is it based upon, do you have reliable dating evidence for actual examples?
The only two printed Pegasus on fine weave with WW2 provenance that I have in my documentation are provided by O. Lock and Ken Joyce in their books. Both have the slight ‘ghosting’ of the figure through the back of the patch (what I called Type 1 in my first post).
We all know that these patches were produced by a large number of printing firms belonging to the Calico Association during WW2. For that reason, several variations of patches have been recorded due to slight variations of both color and figure. It is also common knowledge that two type of cotton fabric were used in the manufacturing process but only one type of fine weave cotton (satin drill #2).
I have attached below a close up comparison of the fine weave Pegasus that are the object of the thread. We can clearly conclude the fabric used is not the same. This is the reason why I’m wondering if the second type (on the right hand side of the photo) wasn’t produced at a later time.

Thanks in advance for your contribution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fine Weave Comparison 2.jpg (76.1 KB, 53 views)