View Single Post
Old 29-10-20, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Part 1, I sadly have no idea, but these silver/nickel badges seem to be very rare, and I am not convinced they formed part of the OWS set. That said, they could have been made for a very small select group, hence the rarity. I also think Tony is referring to the 1914 enamelled badges, as far as I am aware, they have always been referred to as "Admiralty" badges.
I appreciate your input Tim , other opinions make me rethink some of my own views.

It seems too much of a coincidence that there was an "Admiralty" badge and a 1914 badge referred to as "the Admiralty badge".

Quote:
An Admiralty memo of 26th December 1914 titles this badge "the Admiralty War Service Badge".
Could it be that the 'silver' badge was originally issued soley to civilian staff working at the Admiralty , 'a small select group' (the few I have seen have 3 digit numbers , the Bosley one 940) , and that the 1914 (Admiralty style ?) badge was produced when "the bulk issue of badges to the shipyards and related employers" began and that the title simply carried over ?

Tony's (2012) article is based on Tom Tulluch-Marshall's earlier (2001) piece (with a nod to this forum ) but I find it strange that Tom mentions 'official' and 'unofficial' OWS badges but does not refer at all to the silver "Admiralty" one.

Also worth noting is that when Tony's article came out there was still conjecture about the letters on the 1915 badges with the idea they were 'occupation related' (rather than purely based on a numerical series).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Part 2: I think the enamel has just been removed, the spaces around the date seem to have some residual enamel, to my eyes, anyway. As for the raised B, from my observations, Collins badges (on the button hole fitting) come blank, stamped A and stamped B, along with the number, but not sure about the raised letter.
Cheers, Tim
It is possible that the enamel has been removed but also that the residue is dirt etc , the photo is of the badge as it arrived. Will post another after a gentle , soap and water , clean but with the badge 'in hand' it appears to have never been enamelled.

I have seen a blank Collins OWS (note MM) and 'A' & 'B' raised letters on the badge itself. The numbers/letter on the button hole fittings are 'post manufacture' where as the 'raised' letters are part of the original manufacturing process (like the ones on the various 'series' of 1915 badges). So another enigma !

A final (appropriate) quote from Tony's article :

"So , nearly a hundred years on , there are still questions to be asked and research to be done"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collins.jpg (83.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Collins A.jpg (47.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Collins B.jpg (63.6 KB, 3 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted