View Single Post
Old 15-06-15, 01:19 PM

Hi Chaps,

Many thanks for the ongoing interest in these buttons. David thanks for the pointer on the HEIC. I did some digging and I think the button belongs to the East India College – Haileybury. (Subsequently to become the Hailey College Imperial Services College).

I think the script letters “HCC” stand for “Haileybury Cadet College”. (though it could be (Haileybury College Council” - maybe?).

I found the following book on-line:
History of the ancient Town and Borough of Hertford. Illustrated with Engravings by Lewis Turnor (published 1830)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...button&f=false

In Appendix I – Page 445, it states:

This College stands in the hamlet of Hailey, which lies in the Southern part of the parish of Great Amwell, and was founded in the year 1805, by the Honorable the East India Company, for the education of young persons designed for the civil service of India. .. .

"Towards the close of the year 1806, His Majesty was pleased to issue his royal licence and authority for a grant of arms, with supporters, to the college, which passed the sign manual on the 4th. of December. By the preamble to this grant, the college is formally recognized. On the 21st. of March, 1807, the College of Arms, in obedience to the royal mandate, granted and exemplified to the college the following arms, that is
to say, the Arms of the United Company of Merchants of England, trading to the East Indies, viz.—Argent, a Cross Gules, On a shield in the dexter quarter, the Arms of France and England quarterly, within a Compartment adorned with an Imperial Crown; On a chief of Augmentation, Azure, an Olive Wreath between two open Books, Proper, bound and clasped, Or. For the crest: On a Wreath, Argent and Gules, a Lion rampant guardant, on his head an Eastern Crown, Or, holding between the Fore Paws 3. Scroll with a Seal pendent therefrom, Proper: and for supporters, the following; On either side a Lion guardant, on the head an Eastern Crown, Or, with the motto, Auspicio Regis et Senatus Anglioe
".

(please see attached scan)

I also found the following article on the website listed below:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org...two-flags.html

which in talking about the Cunard insignia, mentions:

"The crest of the East India Company's cadet college at Haileybury was the
East India Company lion, but with crown on head and holding in its paws "a
scroll with the seal pendant therefrom," the distinction being slight enough
to show derivation from the Honourable East India Company's crest, and yet
show a sufficient and appropriate difference---exactly as in the Cunard's
device
".

So I think I have identified that the button came from Haileybury College - circa 1806-1856. However, whether it was for the Haileybury Cadet College or Haileybury College Council and who wore the button and when - remains another question. But the link to the East India Company is definitely there.

Cheers

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haileybury Colege.jpg (22.8 KB, 1 views)