View Single Post
Old 08-03-19, 04:04 PM

JT,

As always you’ve raised excellent points for discussion and set them out in a beautifully structured way.

I’ve had some really wonderful badges at good prices from members, be they full or part-time dealers, collectors supplementing their income, disposing of spares or friends who kindly gift badges (thanks again JT). I’d hate that to stop. Think we all agree getting something we’re after is often difficult so if the forum offers the potential of something popping up I’m all for it.

For me at least the question ‘what’s our the definition of a dealer?’ is a relevant one. A lot of collectors are dealers and vice versa. Clearly if it’s you’re bread & butter and how you make a living then 100% = dealer. But there seems to be a growing number of regular ‘casual’ sellers who buy a few badges to sell on the side, nothing wrong with that but at that point IMO it starts descending into a greyscale spectrum.

I’m always happy for reference albums to be up, they can be a useful tool when deciding on a badge. As for advertising websites/auctions, it doesn’t bother me... they’re like adverts on the tube.

I take Andy’s point re asking about a badge only to sell it elsewhere. However there’s a certain dichotomy to the situation, we all (myself included) are often the first to criticise when a dealer misdescribes an item - through ignorance or otherwise. Part of me feels like they’re damed if they do ask and sell, damed if they don’t and get it wrong. We can’t have it both ways.

As for bans, if you’re a member actively and knowingly selling fakes as originals you should be banned as that’s fraud. However I do realise the futility of bans, there’s nothing to stop a banned member creating another email address and BBF account.

Personally I think there’s a good peer review system and community spirit on here amongst collectors. Dealers/sellers have been challenged by members when selling fakes or spurious items and action taken. Members actively warn other members of fakes etc. too. So I think our self-policing model, for want of a better phrase, whilst not perfect is mostly good and works.

All just my opinion of course.

Cheers,

Luke