View Single Post
Old 05-06-22, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I don't know why there's an obsession with skilled jewellers making and doing modifications, basic metalworking and the use of that very complicated to use file was an everyday thing back then, I think people overthink the why's and doing of things to the badges to justify buying them.
When I see badges that have possibly been 'modified' they normally fall into one of three catagories :

1. Kitchen table/Garden shed : Usually quite rough with obvious tool marks etc.
2. Factory/Workshop : A more 'professional' appearance , made by someone with metal working experience.
3. Jeweller/Artisan : Normally well made/well finished and quite often numerous "identical" items.

I'll pick up a 'modified' badge if it is cheap , more to show what was being done to badges . What I don't like is modern dealers selling obviously 'modified' badges and them pretending they are "rare" or previously unseen 'variations'.

I also like finding badges with manufacturing "errors" , wrong design number/spelling mistakes (madal ?) etc. I don't feel a need to justify buying them , I just enjoy finding them !

Poppy and British Legion Wanted