View Single Post
Old 05-02-17, 08:04 PM

Default ‘Striation’ marks on Leicesters badges

Hello Tim

I’ve had a quick look at a couple of my ‘kitten-faced’ maker’s type Leicesters badge like yours, and on these there seem to be ‘striation’ marks pretty much all along the lower edge and ends of the bottom ‘Leicestershire’ scroll, as well as along the upper edge of the top ‘Hindoostan’ honour. As I’ve said, I’m afraid I’m not an expert on the manufacturing processes involved here, but I have always assumed that the white metal scrolls for these Leicesters badges were die-stamped out of a sheet of metal, cut out and then applied to the brass badge, which itself had been die-stamped. I am happy, therefore, that the ‘striation’ marks to which you refer would simply be part of the finishing process for this, I take it to try an ensure there were no sharp edges. The ‘striation’ marks on my badges, or at least the ones I’ve looked at, go across the white metal of the scrolls and across the brass of the badge. Though, once again, not being an expert, I can’t know if I am right about how I think these scrolls were made and applied. I am sorry if this does not answer your query fully, and maybe there is someone else here on the Forum that would know more about the processes involved?

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”