View Single Post
Old 01-12-08, 10:24 PM

Default CSSMI ARTICLE Tony Reintjes

Background History of 1st Canadian Armoured
Personnel Carrier Regiment

The regiment was officially formed 24 October 1944, although elements of this Unit operated well before this date.

At this time the 1st CACR was wearing the generic insignia of the Canadian Armoured Corps (white metal tank badge). The regiment wore this badge right up to February 1945. The regiment decided sometime in early November 1944 to have their own distinguished cap badge and shoulder title. I have a copy of the original “kangaroo” badge design proposal drawing on a J.R. Gaunt & Son letterhead which was rejected by First Canadian Army Headquarters. This is the design with the young kangaroos in the pouch. I also have a copy of a memo dated as late as 18 November 1944 approving both shoulder title and cap badge, emended by the removal of the young kangaroos from the “pouch” of the “carrier” kangaroo and by the substitution of the regimental motto for the Unit name which at present appears at the base of the badge. The colours “orange and black” for the shoulder title have been approved, however it is directed that the title read “CDN ARMD CARRIER REGT” with the word “CANADA” below. Main H.Q. First Cdn. Army 21 November 1944, signed by Major D.F. Cameron, GS0 II CAC.

The first “kangaroo” cap badges were issued to the officers and men at the end of January 1945 and by the end of February, all members of the ICACR were wearing the J.R. Gaunt produced cap badges – bronze flat back type for the officers and a brass badge, sometimes with a gilt wash finish, for the men. Both officer’s and men’s badges were stamped from the same J.R. Gaunt die.

The regiment was officially disbanded 11 May 1945, therefore the badge was only worn for less than a four-month period. The regiment was never larger than approximately 550 men, with a relatively low casualty rate, seventeen men killed and almost no new ranks taken on, no wonder the original die-produced badges are so scarce. I have several Canadian Army Clothing and Equipment statement documents and according to these, usually only one cap badge was issued. However, I have heard from veterans that they were issued more than one. For arguments sake, let’s assume the 1CAR issued three badges each, (550 men and 35 officers x 3), an approximate total of 1,755 badges. This is a very small number of badges, certainly not enough to wear out the die.

Now, welcome to the so-called “second die”. I personally own about twelve cap badges produced by this die. The badge produced from this die is a poorly designed copy of the original with crude details, usually made of two materials, one in light yellow coloured cartidge brass (70% copper, 30% zinc), its high zinc content giving it a light yellow colour, usually thin in thickness (probably stamped from thin brass sheet stock laying about in the shop), and the second in a more reddish coloured brass (80% copper, 20% zinc alloy) with the higher content of copper giving it a more reddish look. The last type is susceptible to oxidizing, giving it a darker colour. Some of the badges produced by the second die have their finish artificially altered to make them look aged and could be mistaken for an officer’s badge.

Logic and common sense dictates that with Gaunt’s original die only producing approximately 1,800 badges, the die certainly was not worn out and there was no need for a second die for this short four-month period of operations. It is my opinion that the so-called “second die” is a reproduction die which was made in England in the late 1960’s with the sole purpose of monetary gains. The material from which these badges were produced using this die has no important significance other than whatever brass sheet stock was lying about the shop.

While I’m at it, a few lines regarding the shoulder title. Again, in my opinion, the only legitimate title worn by the 1CAR is the orange and black artificial silk title. This title originated in Holland approximately the same time as the cap badge, January/February 1945. The colours, black, as used in the beret of the CAC, and orange, link to the Dutch Royal House of Orange since the regiment was officially formed in Holland. The shoulder flash was ordered from and produced by a weaving mill in Tilburg, Holland, near Eindhoven. Since cloth material was in short supply during the war, they used whatever was on hand which happened to be the artificial silk. The various English-made titles which are flooding the market, (I own at least seven different types including a canvas type) are, in my opinion, all reproductions. They have no historical or monetary value and are only in existence for monetary greed. Why would the regiment need more shoulder titles since the Tilburg mill could provide them with as many titles as needed and was located just behind the theatre of operations?

Over the last twenty-eight years, I have seen six original 1CAR battle dress tunics, of which four came with original Armoured Corps black berets, and two battle dress tunics this year, one on my recent trip to Holland and one (officer’s) at the annual CSMMI show in St. Catharines. All of the battle dress tunics had the artificial silk titles and the berets all had the Gaunt original cap badge including the quality bronzed officer’s badge (same die). I must point out that none of these tunics or berets had been altered and were as found. I have never seen an English-made title or reproduction badge on certified original battle dress tunics and berets.

I hope to write some further articles in upcoming journal publications on other reproduced badges and cloth titles.

Identification of the Original Cap Badges
Compared to Reproduction Badges

There are many obvious differences between these badges such as lug fasteners, weight, dimensions, quality, details, material and design but some of these differences can be somewhat controversial. To keep things simple so that the average collector can identify the reproduced cap badge without too much trouble, I will concentrate mainly on the design.

I have included two photographs, one of the original Gaunt cap badge, the other of the reproduction cap badge. I have numbered the main differences between the two badges from 1.O to 5.O and I.R to 5.R.

Original Gaunt Badge Reproduction Badge

1.O Normal eye and eyebrows, 1.R Bulging eye and exaggerated
high quality engraving eyebrows
From tip of nose to base of ear in From base of nose to base of ear
a straight line swept up

2.O Curved nose and chin 2.R Square nose and chin

3.O Flat section of stomach between 3.R Almost no flat section on stomach
partially hidden front leg and hip between partially hidden front leg
and hip, almost V-shaped

4.O Relatively large gap between claw 4.R Relatively small gap between claw
of front paw to hip of front paw to hip (notice poor
detail of upper hip outline and claw
of front paw)

5.O The “O” in the motto “ARMATOS 5.R The “O” in the motto “ARMATOS
FUNDIT” has an oval shape instead FUNDIT” has a round shape
of round

Note: Use the difference in the “O” as a fast identification method.

‘O’val = ‘O’riginal
‘R’ound = ‘R’eproduction