View Single Post
Old 14-10-22, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
DO NOT BIN IT!

I have a Kings Own Scottish Border’s given to me 1990,s along with a Manchester Pals badge, these came with approximately 80 Bronze Officer’s badges I was allowed to look over collected by the wife’s husbands grandfather in his capacity as a Medical assistant WW1.

I was honest in at the time the badge’s worth and I did ask if I could buy them, but a Dealer had already first dibs, I was however gifted these two badges, Forum confirms the Manchester Pals, but didn’t confirm the KOSB for the reason it was never made in Bronze, it’s just too well made and the Provence! got me to think it’s wrong, so like me put safely to one side and wait till better info comes along, I’ll dig out a picture for you, all the best billy
The King's Own Scottish Borderers Have never had a BRONZE badge of any sort all badges authorised are Silver hallmarked, Silver plated most hallmarked and White Metal, there are BRASS cap badges worn on the foreign service Helmet. See my book:- Badges and Insignia of The King's Own Scottish Borderers Also Associated Volunteer and Militia Units from 1689 until 2006 From the Regimental Museum Collection and others' this book was reviewed in The Bulletin of the Military Historical Society last month. There may have been a sweetheart badge made in bronze but it would not be of regulation size. Further more the Forage Cap worn for a short period by the Adjutant and the Military Band Master was a reduced size silver cap badge which in later years would be worn on the undress Pipers sporran, also WO sword belt Chapter 4 badge 20 in my book. Further more there were officers and WO cap badges made in Silver with part of the badge in Gilt and the cross of St Andrew and the Castle of Edinburgh remaining in silver, this was a barracks badge worn on the Kilmarnock peaked diced forage cap.
Cheers
Hiram

I would BIN IT