Thread: 27th Lancers
View Single Post
Old 30-03-10, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter seaman View Post
Hello Keith,
Personally I have not encountered a Gaunt made 27L officers pattern head dress badge fitted with a slider amongst the many that I've seen belonging to former members of the regiment. However, I have 27L officer pattern head dress badges and two pairs of collars with the applied wm/sp lower pennon sections which do stand proud of the gilding metal and not fitted flush. These, although not maker marked can be identified as coming from a Firmin die. I also have several un-named 27L badges, both head dress and collars which differ slighly to the Firmin made ones, now, they may well be Gaunts but I do not have a gauranteed WW2 made Gaunt named badge for comparison. That's the problem. During my research I failed to find any record whatsoever which suggested that other suppliers to Ordnance made 27L insignia. The search goes on!!.
Peter
Thanks Peter,

It's all good fun. There would seem to be a third maker though, I wonder who it may have been?

Another thought, is the bimetal pennon version with the slotted sweathole, re-inforcing bar above the elephants head and with a slider one of the 70's Gaunt re-strikes? I've always had my doubts about this version of the badge as the metal is a horrible colour which doesn't clean up. Also with bimetal ones being for officers, having a slider would make it incorrect?

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 30-03-10 at 08:51 PM.