Thread: 27th Lancers
View Single Post
Old 29-03-10, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter seaman View Post
The Firmin 27th Lancers head dress badge is perfectly fine. The 27th Lancers badges with all gm lance pennons are other ranks patterns. Those with the lower halves of the lance pennons in wm/sp are officers patterns. The Gaunt produced 27th Lancers badges tend to have flat backs to the lance pennons, however, the problem I have is this, in the thirty years that I have been interested in, and collecting to, these six war raised cavalry regiments I have yet to see a Gaunt named 27th Lancers head dress badge.
Gaunt restruck all the WW2 raised cavalry (22D - 27L) badges in the early 1970's. In my book "For Hostilities Only" I give the dates etc of these restrikes. The 27th Lancers head dress badge attached to the Sealed Pattern Card is by Firmin. Card Ref. No. CB 0284 Pattern No. 11700. Date approved 1 - 5 -41. Authority 20/RAC/77. Currently I have no proof at all that Gaunt produced 27th Lancers head dress badges for wear in WW2?.
Peter
Peter,

I'd be very interested on your views on this Gaunt badge as the branding is what we generally call the 'safe' small font without the full stop between Gaunt & London.

There's no sweathole but I'm not overly bothered as Gaunt's 25th DG doesn't have one either, but the nickel bottom pennons are heavy overlays and don't sit flush with the upper part.

I have others which I'll post seperately as not to confuse things.