View Single Post
Old 20-11-19, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Wow Leigh ! Thanks for such a speedy reply. Please excuse my ignorance but all these references which are slightly different - seem linked to the same service number? ( I get the slightly different spelling of Bulloch / Bullock - which may well be a simple admin error ) - but I'm confused as to why his secondary and tertiary units would be different ? And does that mean he started in the Scottish Rifles but served in other units ( East Yorks ? ) via the 6th Btn ? Is that the wound stripe on his sleeve and if so does he actually have two? And finally any idea on the medals? Many thanks again Tim
I think most of your queries have been covered by the last couple of posts, I don't know what the East Yorkshire Regiment entry is about, they were no East Yorks battalions in the same division as the 5/6 Scottish Rifles.

A little bit of general background to the 5/6 Bns activities in July 1916 when they were part of 19th Brigade, 33rd Division.

19th July moved up Death Valley to attack High Wood, midnight, rushed wood at 03:35 hours, battalion historian records all opposition wiped out by 15:00 hours and wood in full possession of 19 Bde.

Relieved during night after strong counter attacks and moved to Mametz Wood.
Casualties 407, over half missing " never to be seen again".

On 14th July strength of battalion 40 officers and 1,067 ORs
On 21st July at Mametz Wood strength of battalion 199 all ranks.

22nd July to Beure.
6th August Becondel - Becourt.
18th August support trenches near High Wood.
19th August front line between High Wood and Delville Wood.

Took turns in line until relieved on 27th August,
resting between tours at Mametz Wood, Fricourt Wood,
Pommiers Redoubt.
28th August Fricourt Wood.
29th August Becordel-Becourt