View Single Post
Old 26-04-16, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Bess,

No problem with the use of marks overlapping as I have no idea whatsoever when the LONDON mark was retired. All one can say is that a the LONDON mark was used, at least up until a specific date, as borne out by its use on a badge attached to a dated pattern card. You have quoted Queens Own Lowland Yeo 1968 - therefore, I have no problem with the LONDON mark being used at least up to 1968 (possibly even later) as the pattern card proves its existence.

All I'm saying is that the Gaunt B'HAM mark was first used 1966 or before and that is borne out by the official documentation of the failing brass slider Queen's A/A badges in tropical conditions. Such doco is dated Jan 1967 implying that the badges had to have been made pre this date hence the B'HAM mark was in use in 1966. In general though, Gaunt LONDON badges are usually found on older unit badges than the B'HAM marked ones and it may be argued that a LONDON marked badge, for the same unit, is probably older (although one cannot be 100% certain) than a B'HAM marked one.

The same badge may be sealed many times for many different reasons - the 1970's dated card has a A/A slider hence the A/A cap badge specification was officially changed, as per the references given in my book, for all non A/A slider attired (most had brass sliders but other non aluminium metals were also used) A/A cap badges. Therefore, the Queen's Regt cap badge was probably re-sealed, in 1970, to reflect this change in specification using, once again, the B'HAM mark.

I don't think there is more that I can say.

Regards,

Chris
Well, we can disagree Chris, the dates and data are what they are. The cards couldn't have all been changed and it wouldn't make sense to have the marks running concurrent really. Its the brass slider issue for me that may be the key. None of the pattern cards you detail - bar one - show the Gaunt BHam mark pre 1969 and the London mark doesn't appear after that date on cap badges that have ANODISED sliders, again taking the pattern cards listed as a rep sample. (the 2 marks do also appear on both REME and R.E cap badges - but lets not open that particular can of worms, eh!).

The brass slider Queens badges are common (as are REME and RE) and don't forget that initially I believe there were 4 Bns - so plenty were issued!

Regards all

Bess