View Single Post
Old 25-04-16, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Hi Chris,
A quick enquiry - apart from the brass slider (and that may be important) on the Queens Regt badge for 1966 - what was the next earliest mention that you found of the Gaunt B.Ham mark on an anodised cap badge? If other badges pop up with the Gaunt B.Ham mark in that era, great.

However, as I understand it, the faulty Queens Regt badge had a weak aluminium rivet and the slider was brass. Could the sliders have been made elsewhere to the anodised badges and perhaps it wouldn't necessarily fall that the integral 'anodised' slider had the Gaunt B.Ham mark that early? Does it necessarily fall that anodised badges and brass badges carried the same makers mark for Gaunt at the same time?

Mid 1960's seems early for the Gaunt B.Ham mark on an anodised slider, but a brass one . . . . ? My knowledge of brass badges with the Gaunt marking is lacking here.

Just my thoughts for debate gents.

Regards all

Bess
Hi Bess,

The badges were not poorly made from a structural point of view - that is totally wrong - the issue was the environment in which they were used.

See page 161 of my book.

"...Salt contained within the perspiration was creating corrosion resulting from an electrolytic action between the brass shank and the aluminium badge’s body..."

The above is recorded in various doco which has the references on page 164 and 165.

Other uses if the mark - have a look through Appendix 3a. There are quite a few pattern cards recorded there with makers mark on the badge.

Regards,

Chris