Thread: Gaunt Buttons
View Single Post
Old 26-02-16, 10:29 PM

Hi Chaps

I certainly agree with the above posts (Roger & GTB) - I'm sure Gaunts produced many genuine QC buttons with the Gaunt London backmark. The problem is, as both myself & Roger have mentioned earlier, that they used the same backmark dies for the restrikes as they were using for the production of regular buttons. No doubt some of these have the broken letters. This is why there is so much confusion.

I'm not a fan of the buttons with the blue/green tint and I must admit that I tend to associate them with restrikes. I've always wondered if they didn't bother finishing them off to the usual standard given the circumstances under which they had been ordered. However, I admit that it is quite possible that they are simply from the period when the restrikes were being produced, rather than being limited to them alone.

Having said all that, I'm still not sure about the QC 9th Lcrs. If original it would have to be from the 1950's (9/12 Lcrs from 1960) and, personally, I think that's a bit early for the "funny coloured" backs. Also, I don't think they would have been held in stores as such. I believe the only authorised buttons for 9L were anodised so they would be an Officers private purchase item. That's just my opinion though and the chances are we will never know for sure!

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 26-02-16 at 11:00 PM.