Thread: Gaunt Buttons
View Single Post
Old 25-02-16, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Wonder of wonders!

While checking the backs of a couple more gilt KSLI buttons I turned up one with a greenish hue. No problem with the lettering. So evidently the manufacturer (Gaunt) utilised 2 distinct metals/finishes for these buttons and perhaps others: (a) golden yellow (b) greenish.

Seen good strikes of GAUNT LONDON on RN KC PO buttons, to add to the list

GTB
The majority of the restrikes have defective lettering but by no means all of them. Perhaps they used more than one backmark die when manufacturing them (most likely) or the die became worn/damaged during the process.

As to whether genuine buttons have the blue/green tint to them I don't know. I think this is more usually associated with the restrikes, or at least the period when they were made; but possibly not exclusively.

There are plenty of examples of genuine gilt KC buttons with the "Gaunt London" backmark - those made from c. 1949-1952 or so for units which hadn't yet adopted anodised buttons, or where Officers were permitted to continue wearing gilt buttons. (Or, in the case of your RN buttons, where anodised buttons were not worn.)

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 26-02-16 at 01:02 AM.