View Single Post
Old 22-04-19, 05:32 PM

My first posting in the RAOC in 1970 was COD Bicester (the General Stores & Clothing main depot for the Army) and RAOC soldiers wore a mix of Denim BD Jackets & Denim Overall Jackets with 3'7 Patt Belts & Anklets with some posted back from RAOC 'Field Force' wearing Putties, same with Combats with a mix of Green '60 patt & DPM combats. Within the unit the RAOC QM would not replace anything until completely worn out! in fact I'm sure there were a few old sweats wearing Kings Crown cap badges just for the hell of it.

I worked for RSSD (Returned Stores Sub Depot) and soon learnt that better and newer pattern kit was being returned in 'as new' condition from other units that was for disposal, and I would wear one set of kit to work, and newer kit back to barracks. since the depot was guarded by MOD Police you could not just pickup used kit and walk out with it, and the Senior Ranks in charge turned a blind eye to the practice, but not the civilian supervisors of whom there were many!

By the mid 70's the Army had modernised to Trousers Lightweight and Shirt KF with Jersey Heavy Wool with putties and Boots DMS for 'Working Dress' and DPM Combats yet in the RAOC at least '37 Patt webbing was still being worn at UK & BAOR base depots with BAOR 'Field Force' getting '57 Patt webbing.

By 1972 I was in a 'Shadow RAOC Field Unit' at Bicester so acquired '57 webbing and DPM combats for exorcise use, but so many lads were returning back to Bicester on posting with newer kit the RSM gave up trying to impose green combats on duty, and even blankoud '37 belts gave way to '57 belts on duty.
'
Oh Happy Days

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 22-04-19 at 05:42 PM.