View Single Post
Old 22-06-16, 07:25 AM

Absolutely fascinating, I've often wondered about these, I was only looking at an example the other day and it appeared very much the same as other Infantry and Corps titles that were worn, in the way it had actually been made.
One wonders if some hawker or spiff simply went to one of the original manufacturer's who had a contract with the War Office and had some made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
I'm currently reading "Dunkirk to the Rhineland" "Diaries and Sketches of Sergeant C S Murrell, Welsh Guards" Edited by Nick Murrell.

And I spotted this

Whilst at barracks near Shrivenham after returning from Dunkirk.

"7 June 1940

Hawkers have been around the barracks and village flogging small worsted tabs that slide over the shoulder straps of a battledress blouse, and a number of men have bought them. They are lettered 'BEF'. There is something very distastful about such exhibitionism, or opportunism, in a defeated army, or in a victorious one for that matter. The badges are quite unofficial, though the authorities have not banned their use. I was glad to note that none of the guardsmen here sported one of these tabs."

So far its a very good read, my father obtained a copy because he used to live next door to the Murrells in Castle terrace, Pevensey after the war.

Rob.