View Single Post
Old 05-03-19, 10:35 PM

Post A. In reply to Button_Magpie, It would appear we are once again delving into the murky world of “genuine Issue”, “genuine repro” as in an original Manufacturer making pieces for a specific purpose or occasion (such as Fermin making the 68 button set for the Danbury Mint, “fakes” and others made for the costume trade, and of course, “fantasy pieces” or whatever a disreputable person might dream up to con the unsuspecting buyer. I am sure there many on this forum who have taken great pains to research some particular piece in their collection, only to run into a roadblock.
So here we have an interesting question concerning the G.M.G. Regt. Button. Coupled with a couple of answers based probably on experience, knowledge in that particular regiment and also the appearance of the button as pictured. It is my opinion that a definitive answer could only come from a verified expert in the field and that expert would have at hand the use of documented evidence, such as an illustration in a manufacturer’s catalogue, a sealed pattern sample or other such provenance.
For myself, I am neither an expert nor new to the collecting of buttons but I have experienced a number of incidents that will I hope, add to my knowledge which is one small part of the collecting field.