View Single Post
Old 28-06-11, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkatnest View Post
Hello All.

Have just joined and as this is my first ever forum joining - I really haven't got a clue how to find my way round. It has taken ages to get this far!
Well here goes and best of British as they say. I am British by descent but born Rhodesian having emigrated to Zimbabwe-Rhodesia without moving and then again to the new Zimbabwe again without packing my bags! Now am ensconsed in 'Blighty' and doing research on my family history. I have recently inherited a photo of my granddad taken in South Africa 1903 in military uniform. This is the first hint of him ever being in the military as far as I have known. So I am trying to trace origins,details etc. Could not find anything at the National Archives - so in "Googling" - was drawn to this sight.

I have this one and only picture of him in uniform - taken in Potchefstroom in 1903. Very high res scans of the collar area don't give much detail but shown below is the best I can get at revealing collar insignia.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation.
Mick.
Hi Mick,

Welcome to the forum.
I'm British born but live in South Africa. I primarily collect British badges but have seen your Granddads badge.
Nice pic of your Granddad! The collars look like the Light Horse Regt, originally Imperial Light Horse, raised in 1899, formed by amongst others Sir Percy Fitzpatrick, (Jock of the Bushveld,) but there are other South Africans far more knowledgeable about SA insignia.
The Regiment is still in existence as an armoured car regt.
There is also a South African & Rhodesian section if you page down past Canadian and Australian.
I see the significance of your name, Hawkatnest.

Have fun & regards,

Iain