View Single Post
Old 14-09-20, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I find that I have two "round cornered" 1916 badges:a real mint one by Gaunt numbered 50906 and a Wylie example numbered 186280 (this has a wrong pin fitted). On the Gaunt badge the corners project a little beyond the Wylie one.
That is interesting , I have been trying to find 'definitive' information about whether the 'round corner' badges were manufactured or modified.

So far , the few that I have seen (including the one I have) were all made by Wylie and I have not yet found a Gaunt example.

Comparing my own example with basic (sharp corner) Wylie and Gaunt badges mine has the "feel" of superior manufacturing with no sign of being modified.

It also appears to be slightly thicker and heavier (if bits had been cut off it should be lighter ?) , am waiting on a micro-scale to check the weight of all three badges.

Here are 3 examples :

1. My badge (Wylie) - no obvious signs of being 'modified'.
2. One from another forum member (Wylie) - signs of corners being 'snipped' and filed/ground (slight 'angle' on face of badge).
3. One sold on eBay (unclear mm but possibly Gaunt) - top point still there and other 2 corners with similar angles on face of badge.

It is difficult to judge these badges without actually handling them (some on this forum can tell different badges/strikes with their eyes shut) but I am of the opinion that there were badges manufactured with 'round corners'.

Discuss !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 Wylie Curved Front.jpg (46.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Badge 2.jpg (88.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Modified 1 F.jpg (43.0 KB, 11 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted