View Single Post
Old 26-06-11, 04:03 AM
Peter J

Following further research, I am pleased to say that I am now able to provide an update to this thread...

The blue Viking flash was worn (on the left arm) by Royal Norfolks once basic training had been completed; not before.

Blue.jpg

Members of the permanent depot staff, and elsewhere in the East Anglian Division/District area also wore the red Viking badge, but on the right arm.

Red R.jpg

Therefore, members of the permanent staff at any of the East Anglian Regimental Depots wore the red Viking on the right arm and the blue Viking on the left. The red Viking was the East Anglian Divisional/District badge; its headquarters being at Colchester, Essex.

Red R.jpgBlue.jpg

Whereas only permanent staff of the depots, or Divisional/District HQ, wore both red and blue Vikings, any other regimental or corps personnel actually posted under the command of Division/District, wore just the red Viking, plus their own insignia on the other arm - this would include such people as Royal Signals, Royal Engineers, RASC, Catering Corps staff, etc., based at Divisional/District HQ, or posted to one of the East Anglian depots, or staff at Stanford Battle Area, etc. However, some personnel were unable to wear the red Viking on the right arm since this was where either their own Corps or Regimental insignia, or trade badges were worn, thus it would have been necessary for the red Viking to have been worn on the left arm, which would also have been the case for some infantry units under the direct command of Divisional/ District HQ. This accounts for the left-facing, red Viking pattern badge.

Red L.jpg

So in answer to my own initial question, there was no right-facing blue Viking badge.

Hope this is of interest/use, and thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Regards,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 26-06-11 at 04:25 AM.