View Single Post
Old 19-04-20, 08:31 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hi Garry

I cant answer your question right away, I will have to go through back issues of the regimental magazine Vedette and look for photos of the band wearing the plate. However there cant have been many made as they are hard to get, I once saw one that had been flattened and attached to a board on a UK dealers list which I didn't buy, I finally got one here in Aussie a couple of years ago from an auction down the country near Geelong.

However I believe the plates were worn up to the 1993 amalgamation (at least), I know that from this amalgamation the Lance Guard was turned out in all 4 full dress uniforms of the 17th, 21st,16th and 5th Lancers regiments.

Watch this space, but also the man to ask is Mac McConnell who served in the 17/21st and Queens Royal Lancers.

Regards

Phil.
Hi Garry, again.

Ive now been through the back issues of The White Lancer and the Vedette from the late 1970's and up to 1993. In the journals up to 1981 the band is seen wearing Blues and peeked caps. The first photo of the band in full dress including Czapkas is the 1982 issue (page 42), the caption reads, The Regimental Band at Swinton Barracks, Summer 1981, ie June to August 1981. The band is seated under trees and 2 timpani drums are in the foreground.

It would therefore appear that the Czapkas were introduced in mid 1981.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.