View Single Post
Old 27-01-19, 09:17 AM

Very clearly, bronze collar badges were both made and worn by some officers during the war, but, I would think it was quite common practice to simply wear those of your own regiment, rather than buy more.
This continued well into the Cold War, until 1958, so it is important to bare in mind that the Parachute Regiment had no permanent cadre whatsoever and was maintained by seconding officers, volunteers, but, only after they had completed their initial training and a considerable period of regimental duty.
They then had to undergo a period of selection at the hands of P Company and if they were not already qualified parachutists they would need to complete the parachute course as well, just as officers had done during the war itself with the old Parachute Training and Holding Battalion.

For a great many, it was simply the beret that mattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSA View Post
Thought it might be interesting to share this photo, received some years ago from Major Philip Nigel Grove, who was Adjutant of 1st Parachute Battalion at Arnhem.

Note the interesting mix of regimental insignia. As explained by Maj Grove at the time:

"I was a regular officer in The York & Lancaster Regt and during the war the Parachute Regt had not been formed - only Parachute Bns. When I joined I was posted to 8 Para Bn, which had been a battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regt and they still wore that badge on their red berets, as the Para Regt badge had not then been produced. So those of us who were not the R.Warwicks wore our own regimental collar badges with the R.W. cap badge."

The photo was taken in April 1943, after he had qualified as a parachutist.

I have also noticed on later photos of other officers in OSD that the Parachute Regiment collar badges were not always worn in favour of those of their parent regiment. In particular, a photo of officers of 10th Parachute Bn in Sept 1944, wearing Royal Sussex Regt collar badges. Although I also have another photo of another officer from the same battalion, before Arnhem, already wearing the Parachute Regt collar badges.

Does anyone know the orders/regulations regarding the introduction and use of the collar badges for OSD?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robert Bonner.jpg (70.1 KB, 31 views)