View Single Post
Old 20-10-09, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
Hi Recce (and everyone else),

No need to be so formal! It's just Adam.

I don't know if I deserve a title like gate-keeper or historian, but I am honoured someone thinks so highly of me. I'm certainly very interested in the regiment's history and have tried to help out a bit along the way. I've been rather busy this past year or so, so have not been very involved with research and bad about keeping in touch with my RHC family.

I think a lot of information is held in the regimental museum and archives, the thing is it will take a lot of digging and reading to bring it to light... I am sure SOMEWHERE we'll be able to find orders for specific insignia that will be very helpful in dating various badges. One day I hope to make it back to Montreal and go through some of the files.

I am really not too sure when the practice of blooming the hackles started. I THINK I remember reading it in a Dress Instruction manual from the 1960s but it may well have started before that? It would be interesting to find out. I recall reading the directions (somewhere) that we were supposed to use a cup as you've illustrated.

As for pics, I will see how my new camera works soon... It's not ideal for macro work with the lens I have but I will see how it turns out. My wife's point and shoot, which is good for macro (but not much else...if you are into photography like me) has a mark on the lens so I am going to try to exchange it.

I do have a few more pieces to put on the thread...so will try to get around to that sometime soon.

Cheers for now,

Adam
I think Captain Adam is being Humble and modest. Not counting His Still a commissioned officer of the Black Watch!

You took care and was in charge of the Museum and the Regimental Archives and history not counting your donation list, the museum has.
We'll other officers thought of it as trivial and waisted time the Capt Volunteered for many years.

Yes I know Mr Adam I will have to dig with a small shovel and will take some time, in hindsight I've been researching the blooming of the
Hackle for 2 years. I believe It started in the 50s with Regular Force Black Watch. I've talked to many at the Regiment even the officers
and nobody knows, just that's it's part of the Regimental Standing Orders.

Last edited by Recce; 30-11-09 at 06:50 PM.