Thread: ? 5th Lancers
View Single Post
Old 18-11-20, 08:04 AM

I think that there is a great deal of good information upon this site regarding these particular badges, the "flat back" you mention is not something you would expect to see in the case of the rankers cap badge and the example you show is completely spurious, with the material and manufacture being modern and post dating the period the regiment was actually extant.
I would get your money back if this was sold to you as original, if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
It looks like a good one to me as well.
However, having collected infantry badges since the mid '70s I have only comparitively recently extended my interest to the cavalry units.

This particulr regiment has been the source of confusion to me as far as their cap badges go as there seems to be little good info around (at least where I have looked).
There seem to be many "opinions" as to what is correct and what isn't concerning fixings and general manufacturing styles. For instance I have heard "experts" insist that a flat back is indicative of a fake yet very credible sources also argue the opposite. I just can't find a convincing explanation to cover the different variations from Victorian to WWI to WWII and post war. I have also seen prices varying from sensible to ridiculous for what appear to be the same variant. I think I know the difference but I just can't substantiate it!

I can't think of another badge that has been so difficult to quantify, or is it just me?

So, for starters I wonder if somebody could please give me some opinion on this one?

Regards

Mark