View Single Post
Old 08-02-20, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Gents,
When I first started collecting anodised badges many years ago, the Jewish Chaplain's cap badge was probably the hardest & most sort after anodised aluminium badge to find.

Now sadly, they appear quite plentiful on e bay with many dealers offering them quite cheaply in high numbers.

Many of these, have I suspect been made in more recent times even though the British Army probably hasn't had a Jewish Chaplain in 30 years?
Possibly old stocks come to the forefront or manufacturers reproducing them more recently for the collectors market?

Anyway the point of this post is that I have a few variants of this badge and have come across another one to share with other anodised aluminium collectors - this one I think I really quite like!

The badge below is the first Jewish Chaplains badge I have come across which is not completely flat backed. It is also a nice chunky badge possibly circa 60's or 70's judging by the amount of aluminium used to make it (see Hagwalthers book).
it also shows a bit of "wear" on the domed shape central device in the centre of the badge.

This badge was found amongst an early collection of anodised badges I purchased from an "advanced" collection of which there were a few early items.
Opinions welcomed.
Many Thanks
Colin
Hi Colin,

When I first started studying A/A cap badges it very soon became apparent that the Jewish Chaplains cap badge was as rare as the proverbial rocking horse sh..

I eventually managed to find one in a packet and that is the one shown in my book. As the years went by they started showing up everywhere. Cadet Direct at one stage had 10 for sale.

I believe that most of the ones around now are ex-Canadian forces who used the same badge made by Firmin. However, I have no idea how many were commissioned by Canada if indeed any actually were.

Also, LB&B and TKS will make badges for anyone these days and it is more than possible that dealers got onto these companies to make a nice little earner.

Regards,

Chris