Thread: Badge Backings
View Single Post
Old 27-08-08, 08:49 AM

Chris,
Sometimes they have a historic connection,other times the connection is not obvious.
I seem to recall a tale I think about the backing to the Staffordshire Yeomanry badge which I think was introduced by a C.O., it was later realised it was a design used on a bottles of Bass beer and the C.O. was a member of the Brewing family. I am sure I will be corrected if my memory is playing tricks.

The best reference material for badge backings is "Badge Backing and Special Embelishments of the British Army" by Tom Walls, it has a few errors but seems to be the only book devoted to the subject.

The author wrote to me in 2001 when he was planning a revised edition enclosing a Questionaire about the 5th Kings liver bird, but as far as I am aware no new edition has ever been published

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”