View Single Post
Old 26-10-14, 05:58 AM

Hi Corey, always good to add to the list, unfortunately some of the registered designs have eluded me; such is the case for the 30th Reinforcement badges 961 & 962.

The problem is that with the outbreak of hostilities in 1914, the NZ Patent Office existing workload of processing applications was pretty much put on the back burner, while they became responsible for the enforcing of wartime trade regulations.
Due to the wars disruption in trade and communications, the NZ Patent Office extended the usual allowable time of just a few weeks for the filing of patent applications, to be extended for the duration of the war, and for much of the early post-WW1 period the Patent Office was engaged in dealing with the backlog of work created by the war.

As such the process during the war was that NZ Reinforcement badge designs were submitted to the Patents Office, fees were paid to register their design, for which a receipt was given, and later a certificate with the registered number was mailed out to the applicant.
So in short, during the war years the correct process of submitting and registering Reinforcement badge designs was not always followed, and although certificates with the registered number were issued, they were not always recorded in the Design Register, and in some cases the badges were recorded in the Design Register, but the certificate with the registered number was not issued.

However, in most cases I have managed to match most of the NZ Reinforcement badge RD numbers with only a few exceptions.

Interestingly enough your own avatar of a 24th Reinforcement collar badge, is a perfect example of the correct process of submitting and registering badges was not always followed, which oddly ended up in a court case during the war, which eventually I will discuss more at length in the “A, B, C & RDs of New Zealand Reinforcement Badges” thread that I have started.

Although I have not found a record of the 24th Reinforcement collar badge RD920, the Registered Design record of the 24th Reinforcement cap badge RD922, shows that although the design was recorded as being registered by Captain Francis Potter, Officer Commanding ‘A’ Company, 24th Reinforcements on the 24th November 1916, did not receive its certificate with the registered number until the 12th September 1917, which was 5 months after the 24th Reinforcements had embarked.