Thread: RWF
View Single Post
Old 18-06-19, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Very strange fitting indeed.
Not seen that on any other badge either. Usually the bar type shaped like a cropped pyramid.
I can only think of RRF,RWF and Solihull CCF on anodised that have a hackle holder fitted to the badge.

I did see a few days back ,an RWF with the lugs removed then refitted north and south. I presume this was to fit to the chrome plate for the belt.
Yes, that configuration of North and South ‘might’ have been done for a belt plate, although throughout the 1970s and early 80s we were still using the old ‘Welsh Brigade’ cap badge on a brass rectangular plate fitted to a white pvc belt of ‘Slade Wallace’ type. In the mid-1980s a Mazak brand clasp was adopted, but in a white chrome finish that was incorrect historically, and fitted to both, green and white courlene (a type of Nylon) web belts. It’s possible that your badge was used on a belt plate by 3 RWF (TA), as the regimental policy was fluid for a few years and the two battalions were not always aligned in every detail. Because no ceremonial belt was publicly funded (issued), other than to the band (new arrivals at the 1st Bn were ‘ordered’ to purchase the Welsh Brigade type from the PRI Shop), there was no consistency across the Regiment as a whole regarding what should be worn with No 2 Dress for a period until the introduction of the Mazak clasp.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 20-06-19 at 06:57 AM.