View Single Post
Old 18-01-19, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosters Cloth View Post
Mike, that's a hugely interesting post re the yellow diabolo. What's your gut feeling re the 21st being blue or yellow?
You quite rightly makes mention of deception, and this may be the case here too? Also, the Germans had spies everywhere, just like us, and it's possible they obtained a copy of the early WO (yellow diabolo) communication and it was never updated with blue? So many variables, but all guesses. However, surely the diabolos must have been accurately recorded here in the UK somewhere? As a last resort, do you know if any of the 21st ATB RTR units still have an accociation? We could ask any surviving veterans?
This image shows a Tiger captured by 48 RTR, 21 Tk Bde in Tunisia. The signs applied prior to inspection in Tunisia by the King are First Army and, I assume, 21 Tk Bde. Whilst the latter is a dark shade, maybe dark blue I believe that due to some quirk in WW2 period BW photography the colour yellow could come out in a BW image as being a darker colour. A photographic expert could confirm or deny this. The North Irish Horse are, in my opinion the best source of information about 21 Tk Bde.
Tiger captured in Tunisia.01.jpg