View Single Post
Old 21-05-18, 06:16 PM

Default 25th Dragoond, past and present up date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1961 View Post
My father served with the 25th in India from 44-45 I believe in B company but I may be wrong. He drove the Sherman along with other vehicles. He 'celebrated' his 20th birthday on VE day but remained in India until after VJ day. As far as I know the 25th then disbanded and he then went to Palestine with 4/7th Dragoons. His name is Len Smith, he is approaching 92 yrs old and is very much alive I am glad to say. I would very much like to make contact with relatives or indeed survivors of this unit.
25th Dragoons,
Hi Cobra, I have done a great deal of research into 25th, As my DAD was pulled out of the line to Train the recruits,
While new Recruits were being trained back in England, they pulled Odds and Sods from were they could,
Some were trouble makers and some were pulled from soldiers whose platoons had been blown to hell, so they fitted in were they could.
A lot were taken from the 3rd Carabaniers, Which I had the Regimental book of THIER history,
This I have sent to Edingburgh as I don't need it any more, so with talking to museum gave it to them with book Of Battle Of The Box and a few other research book on 25th I don't need any more.
I have photo of dad in Dress uniform, but all dads India/ Burma photos apart from this were lost when his box went missing.
He was shot and ended up in hospital for a while while fighting zaps with his Regiment,Mather Green Howards.
When theb25th went into battle dad was sent back to Howards, Dad was training them and the new Recruits from England on Jungle Warfare.
Stories a bit longer than that of course.
Some were is a photo of dad in his 25th Dragoon dress uniform, on site some were.
My e-mail is ddgates@hotmail.co.uk.
I can pass you a lot stuff I don't need.