View Single Post
Old 22-09-22, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
I can't quite make it out, Andy. I'll look the actual photo out and get back to you. The image I posted here was taken from my family website, and so it's an image of an image, so to speak.

JT
Thanks JT, I was just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
My late-father also served in the London during the Yangtze incident. He was just a young Midshipman then.

During her attempt to reach the Amethyst the London received far more damage and many more casualties as a result of Chinese artillery fire than the Amethyst did throughout the entire time she was trapped. The dead from the London were buried in a cemetery in Shanghai which was later destroyed by the Chinese to build a shopping centre. No bodies were removed beforehand - the site was simply bulldozed.

In the film 'The Amethyst Incident' the original HMS Amethyst was used. She was laid up pending disposal at the time. As such the special effects people from the film were free to cause much more damage to her than the Chinese ever did! The film was made in the waters near HMS Ganges and many of the 'Chinese' soldiers seen in the film were actually young ratings from Ganges!

Pete
Thanks Pete,

That is terrible about the cemetery. Thank you for the additional information, "London" took a hammering and to a lesser extent "Consort" and "Black Swan" as well. My father joined Ganges a year after the film was made, so no chance of him being an extra!