Thread: Pagri badges
View Single Post
Old 13-09-11, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Graham

I appreciate your point that even though a decision may have been taken with regards to a certain course of action that does not necessarily mean or prove that it was executed.

I am reviewing the notes and photos I took during a visit to the NA last month. I thought that the following from W0359 vol 12 might be of interest to this discussion.

Badges Cap Headdress FS Helmet with pith band

ACD 38/528 5/1/03

At a meeting of
( initials look like AGJ . COOI CI ) in pattern room on 5/1/03 it was agreed that the same badge should be used for the cork F.S. Helmet and Universal Headdress.

That the centre of Helmet Plate shall be used for above in all cases where a centre of Helmet plate is used. In other cases the Glengarry badge or existing full dress badge.

For Cavalry the field service cap badge to be used for F.S.H. and Universal Headdress.

The whole of the above to be fitted with a single vertical shank.

For N.P. Forage Caps. The existing Field Cap Badges shall be used fitted with a vertical shank but the cap not to be fitted with a socket.

That existing sealed pattern centre plates and badges be amended by a note on the label stating when supplies are required for services with either F.S Helmet or Universal Headdress a vertical shank will be reqd

An inset reads Labels on helmet plate badges to be worn on new service dress hats to be amended to read Badges for Service dress hat to be fitted with vertical shanks same as Dorset pattern no 5814/1903....

In the same volume Smith & Wright are submitting lead impressions of the Glengarry badges of the Lancashire, Royal Scots, Royal Welsh. Royal Dublin and Royal Irish Fusiliers which as late as 1903 I speculate is not for the Glengarry but against the decision noted above.

John
While I can't disagree, with what the ACD say, I have yet to see a photograph with a H.P. centre used in conjuction with a "white" FSH or in the position with the pagri as mentioned by dress regs, post 1903 - apart from the illustration showing the RB a cap badge with a coloured(Rifle Green & Black) pagri.

All of the O/R's photo's produced here, which are post 1903, show cap badges being worn with the white F.S.H., that are in the main the N.P.(Borderick) Forage cap badge pattern(or glengarry in the case of Scots units) and nor are they in the centre of the pagri. The odd two out bring the NF & DCLI, who wore no badges at all, but both wore coloured pagri's

As for the khaki F.S.H., once again, what we see in period photographs, goes against what DR's specify i.e. "that no badges should be worn", and post 1903 a proponderance of usually cloth insignia/hackles etc starts making it's appearance. This in effect makes statements from the ACD totally obsolete.

So in essence what the ACD said "would be worn" and what the regimental "tribes" took into wear are two different things, which requires study in greater detail.