Thread: Pagri badges
View Single Post
Old 13-09-11, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Firstly not all metal badges worn with the FSH, were slotted into the pagri at all, but were often fitted higher up above the pagri, which brings into question what was the badge fitting? Without actually examining a genuine museum example or examples, this then brings into question the belief that all FSH badges were fitted with long sliders as being pure speculation.
Graham

I appreciate your point that even though a decision may have been taken with regards to a certain course of action that does not necessarily mean or prove that it was executed.

I am reviewing the notes and photos I took during a visit to the NA last month. I thought that the following from W0359 vol 12 might be of interest to this discussion.

Badges Cap Headdress FS Helmet with pith band

ACD 38/528 5/1/03

At a meeting of
( initials look like AGJ . COOI CI ) in pattern room on 5/1/03 it was agreed that the same badge should be used for the cork F.S. Helmet and Universal Headdress.

That the centre of Helmet Plate shall be used for above in all cases where a centre of Helmet plate is used. In other cases the Glengarry badge or existing full dress badge.

For Cavalry the field service cap badge to be used for F.S.H. and Universal Headdress.

The whole of the above to be fitted with a single vertical shank.

For N.P. Forage Caps. The existing Field Cap Badges shall be used fitted with a vertical shank but the cap not to be fitted with a socket.

That existing sealed pattern centre plates and badges be amended by a note on the label stating when supplies are required for services with either F.S Helmet or Universal Headdress a vertical shank will be reqd

An inset reads Labels on helmet plate badges to be worn on new service dress hats to be amended to read Badges for Service dress hat to be fitted with vertical shanks same as Dorset pattern no 5814/1903....

In the same volume Smith & Wright are submitting lead impressions of the Glengarry badges of the Lancashire, Royal Scots, Royal Welsh. Royal Dublin and Royal Irish Fusiliers which as late as 1903 I speculate is not for the Glengarry but against the decision noted above.

John