View Single Post
Old 28-11-21, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
As per my reserved comments and general cynicism with all lost wax / silicone mold copy badges, they are all too easy to produce nowadays and some repros from Pakistan etc. have been around for years now.
Precisely Luke, and let's not forget that with the boom in the value of airborne and special forces insignia in recent years, the temptation to make hard to detect fakes has never been greater. Anyone can make such badges at home without expensive tooling.

Quote:
Thus, bar a few documented exceptions, then without provenance as per Frank’s example for me there’s nearly always a question mark.
Provenance is a funny old thing. Unless a veteran obtained piece is without question original, or can be seen to be one and the same in a period photo, then it must be accepted with a pinch (or shovel load) of salt. Unless of course someone else's say so also qualifies as provenance these days; each to their own there I think.

Quote:
However I would say that items appearing in quick succession does not equal fake. Very often in this hobby scarcer pieces are like buses.
That's very true. In my experience though, 99% of such items applies to UK made insignia; one example might be the glut of plastic parachute regiment badges that passed through bosley's hands not that long ago. A dusty box of badges being found at the back of a storeroom shelf; now that I can understand, but six locally-made airborne badges?.

I was happy with the information that I was given. It came via a friend of someone whose record keeping of airborne and special forces fakes is impeccable.