View Single Post
Old 22-02-21, 10:02 AM

Default Royal Navy badge collecting

Hi Andy

Just a word of warning about the May volume. It was published in the early-1970s so it's fifty years old now and there have been a lot of new badges issued since then! In fact the smaller the navy gets the more badges they seem to issue!

Also (and this always upsets those who regard May as infallible and his work as a sort of 'bible') it does contain many errors. I stress that this is not May's fault. It is simply that a lot more research has been undertaken in the last fify years.

But it is still a volume that you will find really useful.

Unlike Army badge collecting, there are actually very few books on naval badges. There are a few books on the history of naval uniform which contain sections on badges but that's about it really.

And it's not much use contacting the National Museum of the Royal Navy or the Imperial War Museum either as they don't seem to know anything! For instance, I contacted them both for information on a Hydrophone Operators badge from the First World War. They told me that such a badge was never issued - despite the fact that I have one attached to a contemporary uniform, my friend has an example, and I have photos of the badge being worn! Many other collectors will tell you similar storys.

Most of us have collected bits of information over the years and amassed a lot of knowledge that we are willing to share with other collectors. So never be afraid to ask questions! I've been collecting RN badges for over thirty years and I still ask questions about things I don't know about.

Good luck

Pete