View Single Post
Old 26-11-20, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Perhaps , the same person designed both badges and after an initial run the 'error' (too many balls ! ) was noticed and new dies were made.......
Thanks to dumdum posting photos of two 'Admiralty' badges there are now five examples to compare. Strangely none have makers marks.

The photos are in the order I first saw them , showing the 'issue' numbers . I couldn't quite get the sizing right but as far as I am aware they are all the approximately the same size.

What is interesting is that the two with the lowest numbers are the '9 ball' versions , so why would they change the design of the crown (from the "official" version) for the later issued badges ?

Note
A War Office document from May 1901 states :
"His majesty now wishes one uniform Crown alone to become the sealed pattern for the Service, - the Tudor, "Henry VII" Crown, chosen and always used by Queen Victoria personally; all other patterns are to be abolished."

Unfortunately , as the HMNZ Transports badges were not 'numbered' there is no way of knowing when their design was also changed.

My first thought was that possibly a different manufactuer was used but as far as I am aware the HMNZ Transports badges were only made by C.M. Bay (as they have makers marks).

I have to keep searching for an answer .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Admir 1F.jpg (44.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Admir 1R.jpg (33.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Admir 2F.jpg (69.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Admir 2R.jpg (38.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Admir 3F.jpg (87.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Admir 3R.jpg (62.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Admir 4F.jpg (34.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Admir 4R.jpg (32.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Admir 5F.jpg (32.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Admir 5R.jpg (30.8 KB, 1 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted