Thread: 100 Years Ago
View Single Post
Old 05-05-20, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Salvaged from a skip this photo, fortunately annotated on the back as the Flawith family in August 1917 is a reminder of the service rendered by British families during The Great War.

The seated gentleman with the moustache is Lumley Smith Flawith identified from the 1911 Census as a resident of London's Kentish Town, surrounded by his sons, back row, left to right; Will, Phil, Ronnie. Front row Bertie, Tom, Jack.

Visible cap badges are those of the Middlesex Regiment, the City of London Volunteer Corps and the Training Reserve. Father's cap badge is that of a VTC unit but I do not have my source handy to identify it.

The Medal Index Cards on Ancestry show that John and Phil survived the war but Ronnie, enlisted into the Middlesex Regiment two months before this photo was taken in August 1917, was killed in action whilst serving with 13th Bn, The Duke of Wellington's Regiment in October 1918.

I'll post further details if I find them.

Jon
Thank you for posting this, I am shocked to have found it. Lumley Smith Flawith is my mother in laws great grandfather and Tom is her grandfather! where was the skip this was found in? Do you still have it and could you please send me a high res scan if at all possible?